Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Kick Me

Do you ever feel like you're paying for your good days with bad days? I feel like that today.

Yesterday was wonderful. The time with the judge took all of about 15 minutes. Monkey's days in foster care are OVER. He officially has parents again (after having no parents and being a ward of the state for almost 2 years). I made a breakfast casserole for brunch and everyone seemed to love it. I just kind of wish I had added mushrooms... After brunch, we napped Monkey while Mark ran to the store and picked up last-minute stuff. Then we headed to the heartless retail giant and had portraits done to commemorate the big day. It was important to us that Monkey be able to look back at the pictures and say, "That's the day. That's exactly what I looked like on the day I got my new name." Maybe someday he'll share them with his own children and tell them his story. Maybe his children will even come to him the same way he came to us. I'm excited to see who he becomes.

There were a couple of bummers for me yesterday. First, the fact that my ex-father-in-law came in for the festivities. We've never been friends, and now that Mark and I are divorced, we're even LESS friends. It sucks to be stuck with someone who doesn't like you, especially on an important day. I've always felt that he thinks he's better than I am. It isn't any better now. He and J talked a lot and he didn't outright do anything hateful, I was just generally uncomfortable. I'm sorry that more of Mark's family didn't come in to support him, but I'm also glad there weren't more of them for me to deal with.

The other bummer was my first REAL bout of round ligament pain. The belly is getting rather large... I was on my feet and lifting Monkey a lot yesterday, so I guess I just overdid it. Any change in movement was a pretty serious pain by the end of the night.

Oh yeah, one more bummer. The doctor called. I don't have full-on gestational diabetes, but I am glucose intolerant. Dr. Google says that means that my numbers weren't bad enough to be classified diabetic, but they weren't good either. I think it's kind of a cop-out. Diabetes is something you either have or you don't. A glucose tolerance test is truly testing the limits of your system to metabolize all that sugar with no help at all from other foods. We need protein to process glucose. It's not fair to judge a person, especially one whose system is taxed by pregnancy, to metabolize sugar super fast with no proteins at all. Anyway, they are referring me to a dietician, who will doubtlessly tell me that I have to knock off the Oreos and macaroni and cheese. I may punch her.

Today has been one screw up after another. First, I found out that I hurt a friend's feelings yesterday. I knew in the moment that I was being snippy, but I didn't realize how bad I sounded. She happens to be the person we're buying our house from. It was some bullshit about paperwork the bank needed to prove we carried homeowner's insurance. We gave her a copy of the policy when we got it, but all of a sudden the bank doesn't have it and it's an emergency. I told her she had the paperwork, our insurance company wouldn't release the info to the bank until we gave them a copy of the contract (which she still hasn't had notarized), and that I was pregnant and tired and bitchy and now wasn't a good time to talk about it. When J had to go to their house this morning, I guess she was pretty choked up about it. I apologized, but I'm sure the damage is done.

I'm taking classes online through a large university (one that doesn't advertise during every commercial break). Since J is retired military, I am eligible for reimbursement for my schooling. Except that the VA has messed up every step of the way. I had to fill out the application online, then my school would send them certification of my enrollment. Except they lost the application, so when the certification came, they didn't know what to do with it. Instead of filing it somewhere, they just sent it to ME. I called, and they searched for the form. The woman told me that while they were looking for it, I could go ahead and fill out another one to make sure my bases were covered. Almost AS SOON AS I hit submit on the second one, she called to let me know they found the first one. Okay fine. I called today to follow up, only to find that they don't have any record of ever receiving my enrollment certification. And they have me listed as J's child, not his spouse, because his ex-wife is still listed as his spouse. So I had to send them our marriage license in hopes that they will finally get it all figured out. They're currently searching for my certification. Let's see how long all this takes to iron itself out...

On top of everything, the iron supplements are doing awful things to my digestive tract and I have had constant heartburn since yesterday afternoon. Neither Zantac nor Tums seems to be having any effect at all...

I kind of just want to go to bed and wait for it all to be over. But Monkey will be here in an hour and I need to put on my happy face and play dinosaurs for a while. He's good medicine, so I'm sure I'll be feeling somewhat better by the time bedtime rolls around.

1 comment:

  1. *hugs* I was borderline too, but I was already on Metformin from before so we didn't do anything different from what we already were. I didn't cut down my sugar intake or increase my protein or anything - just ate as I normally do, and judged by how I felt if I was doing ok. Then again, I have 15 years of practice at judging my sugars by how I feel. :) When I reached 30 weeks, though, the doc started doing NSTs twice a week. He tends towards the "I'd rather overdo it and have nothing wrong than to not be monitoring and have something go awry" school - and I'm ok with that. :)

    Here's to hoping you don't end up punching the dietician. I do recommend kicking them in the shins, though - I find it to be more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete