Monday, May 16, 2011

Three Hour GTT

Oh. My. Goodness. I don't ever want to have another 3 hour glucose tolerance test as long as I live. Luckily, the lady in the lab was really nice and we joked around a lot. The glucose drink tasted like crap and made my tongue burn. Then it hit my stomach like a ton of bricks and it took a lot of effort to not throw up. If you throw up, they make you go home and come back another day to start all over.

The worst part of it was not being able to eat or drink. I had to fast after midnight, which meant no breakfast (or even a glass of water). Then I had to drink the super sugary drink (100 grams of glucose in not-very-much orange drink), and STILL couldn't eat anything for 3 more hours. They did let me have small sips of water though. As much as it sucked, I managed to follow the instructions. Go me.

The lab people said that the doctor should be calling me today with the results. It's 2:30 right now and they close at 4, so I don't know if they'll get around to it today or not. I called them just a few minutes ago and they didn't have any news for me.

I kind of feel like I got hit by a bus. I'm really really sleepy and I can't nap because, well, there's this 3 year old... He'll be napping soon (late, because his daddy is picking him up on his way home from the airport with grandpa), so maybe I'll grab a short nap then. I really should be cleaning my bathroom or my kitchen though. My mom will be here tomorrow.

Tomorrow morning, at 8:30, Monkey goes to court. We're doing a small brunch afterwards with immediate family, then we have an appointment for pictures at 1. Then we get a break until the big party at 6. Then I am going to come back home and unceremoniously pass out until sometime Wednesday afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you are able to get your results today. That sounds like an awful test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I totally feel for you, having had these tests several times over the years. Once at 18 (it was a 5 hour test) to dx that I was hypoglycemic, another in my early 20's to see how I was doing, a third (only 1 hour) when I was going through treatments (and discovered I was glucose intolerant) and then the 1 & 3 hour tests for the pregnancy. I hate them. To this day I STILL can't drink orange soda. My 3-hour they gave me one that was lemon-lime flavored, but it didn't make me sick and I'm still able to drink Sprite. :)

    The "getting hit by a bus" will go away soon, I hope. It's just because they messed with your blood sugars. Try eating something carb loaded to stabilize yourself, and then something with protein in it. This is where fast food joints come in handy - fries to stabilize, hamburger to even it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you think they should try harder to make those things taste better? Surely they can do it!

    Have a good day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete