Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday Night Leftovers: A Plague Upon Our House


  • Monkey was kind enough to get the sniffles. I noticed it last Thursday. By Friday night, J was mad sick. By Sunday night, I was sick. The baby remains perfectly healthy. Lucky baby.
  • Monk and I are much better. J has an appointment scheduled for Wednesday, but I still might make him go to the hospital before that. I'm relatively certain his cold has turned to bronchitis. Still no fever, but the hacking won't stop.
  • Em had her one month check-up yesterday. How is that possible?! I was just pregnant last week, it seems.
  • She is growing like a champ, up to 9lb 3oz and 23 inches long. She's 90% for height. Middle of the road for everything else.
  • Oh. Yeah. By the way. My kid is SO advanced that she is teething at 4 weeks old. The mind, it boggles. It's rare, but not unheard of in the least. I googled it when I noticed what looked like tooth buds at about 3 weeks, and there are other bloggers who mention it. Doc confirmed tooth buds yesterday.
  • She remains a blissed out baby. I am one lucky mama.
  • This weekend is my 10 year high school reunion. I graduated in 2002. Which means this is 9 years. There has been much Facebook drama over this fact because apparently, some people give a shit about high school reunions. I do not.
  • My current BFF (we barely knew each other's names in high school) married the senior class president, and she organized most of the weekend's events. She really would like me to go to the reunion to hang with her. The thing is, those people from high school? They were mean to me. I was overweight and my mom held down 2 minimum wage jobs to be able to pay the bills. My idea of a huge shopping trip came in the fall when the state gave us a $15o clothing voucher to spend on school clothes at Walmart. I wasn't like everyone else. Now, my life is absolutely perfect. We aren't rich by any means, and there's plenty of month left at the end of the money, but I am happy. So so happy. I have a husband that I'm thankful for every day and two amazing kids who found their way to me. I don't need Linkthe old high school crew in my life again. Ever.
  • Of course, there is a part of me who wants to go because I have become friends with a couple of people from high school since we graduated. Including my BFF. Yay Facebook!
  • I had my postpartum checkup yesterday, too. Yes, at 4 weeks. People seem to be astounded that the old 6-week rule doesn't still hold true. I had a relatively easy delivery without stitches - 4 weeks is good. Doc released me. I picked Monk up and put him on my hip at the absolute first opportunity. It felt good. (And reminded me how out of shape I got while gestating.)
  • J and the wee child are sleeping. I could be sleeping, but then I would be awake til the wee hours of the morning, and Em doesn't seem to care much about what time I went to bed. When she's hungry, she lets me know.
  • On the other hand, the doctor released me yesterday and J is starting to feel better and maybe being up all night wouldn't be a bad thing at all. I have missed him so much.
  • One year ago tonight, I saw him for the first time in my life. He walked into the bar that I worked at. I wasn't working that night, but my aunt and I had gone to watch karaoke. These two guys walked in... Big ugly creepy dude, and a hot bald guy. The place was packed, and our table had a few of the only empty seats in the joint, so the bald guy asked if they could sit with us. I told him they could. And then they did. And then my aunt bailed on me because she couldn't breathe in the smoky bar... And then the bald guy said something like, "I like your glasses." Eventually, we went separate directions. Later in the night, I saw him dancing with some other chick and it caused this weird pang of sadness. When they parted ways, it was my turn to ask if I could sit with him. He obliged. We sat there for an hour or more, nearly screaming over the loud music, trying to get to know each other. We danced. We talked some more. He kept my soda full (I was driving, so I couldn't be boozing). And then, at last call, he walked me to my car and gave me a kiss goodnight. It was another 2 weeks before we had a real first date, and even that wasn't a "date" as much as it was sitting in a truck by the lake talking til daybreak. But it was the beginning. The beginning of something more amazing than either of us ever could have imagined.
Go check in with Danifred to see what everyone else is talking about on this lazy Friday evening...

1 comment:

  1. Sorry everyone has been feeling so icky- summer colds are the worst.

    My Tot got her first tooth right at five months, it seemed like she was teething from the moment she was born.

    ReplyDelete