Thursday, September 1, 2011

In A Good Place... Sometimes.

I'm going to do my complaining first so that I might end my night on a high note.

I. Complaining

Lochia? Fucking sick of lochia. I'm so ready to jump my husband, it's not even funny. I swear on all that is holy, if this lasts 6-8 weeks, I may jump off a bridge. I'm 3 weeks out and I'm just completely fed up with it. I have a couple days where it looks like it's about over with, and then it comes back with a vengeance. Grrr.

II. The Good Stuff

I feel great physically. I honestly expected to feel like death on a platter after childbirth, but it wasn't so bad. I felt like I had road rash for a few days, then it got better. The dreaded hemorrhoid is even mostly healed. I feel good. I feel strong. I quite like this.

I've dropped 40 pounds in the 3 weeks since Em was born. Most of it is obviously water weight since it has come off so quickly and with no effort on my part. I hadn't realized how truly huge and swollen I was when she was born. Then I looked at the pictures from the hospital. Wow.

My legs and ankles and feet are back and better than ever. I will be rocking a short skirt again in no time. SO EXCITED ABOUT THAT.

My skin and nails are in much better shape since having Em. They're better than before I got pregnant, even. My skin is super soft and my nails are growing so fast I can hardly keep up with them. I hope that lasts. I like it.

Em is still about the best baby ever. She sleeps 4 hours at a stretch at night. She rarely fusses. She eats and grows like a champ. We had some reflux issues (during which, she still wasn't fussy - merely projectile vomiting), but we've managed to mostly resolve that without medication. Our pediatrician is amazed with her... She's making eye contact, holding up her head for short periods of time, already establishing a schedule. At her first appointment, at 6 days old, she was already on the developmental level of a one-month-old. We have a tiny baby genius on our hands.

She makes me laugh every day, already. When she's hungry, I put a bib or burp cloth on her chest and tuck it under her chin, and she gets so excited. Her mouth opens and her eyes light up and her arms start flapping. And don't get your hand in the way, because she will try to nurse anything in her way. She's awake several hours a day already, and I can't stop staring into her eyes when she is. They captivate me.

Monk is doing well with her. I've had to learn to juggle a little, but every parent does. He likes to watch her, he tries to give her her paci when she fusses, and he's fascinated by her eating habits. (A bottle? Really? Wouldn't a peanut butter sandwich be better?) The other day, we were in the car and she had a rare fussy spell (she was hungry), and he tried so hard to comfort her from his carseat. "It's okay, baby," he cooed. "I'm here. It's all gonna be okay." And my heart melted.

He begins Head Start on Tuesday. I'm excited for him because he's looking forward to it so much, but I'm also heartbroken that my tiny baby Monkey is going to school. I'm convinced he'll be asking to borrow the car any day now.

Now, I'll leave you with a couple pictures from our first home photo shoot with Em. I am quite blessed to have such beautiful children, but doubly blessed that I have a talented husband who can capture that beauty on the screen...



1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous photos--she looks just like you!!! I'm so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete